Ventient is a leading non-utility generator of onshore wind energy in Europe, focused on long-term sustainable growth through asset acquisition, unrivalled know-how in asset management and operation and conscious ESG choices.
Ventient has grown through 2019 acquisitions to be the 2nd largest independent owner and operator of onshore wind energy in Europe. With 103 wind farms in six countries, we are focused on continuing to maximise long-term value creation and earnings growth for the pension funds we serve. Our long-term sustainable growth will be achieved through M&A and organic improvement, energy and regulatory insight and unrivalled know-how in asset management. This is achieved also whilst being one of the world’s leading renewable ESG performers, as assessed by GRESB standards.
Ventient is in transition toward a high quality European-wide (and potentially further afield) wind farm and associated renewable generation owner with upper quartile long-term financial, ESG and technical performance from both its current windfarms and future acquisitions. Our wind farms primarily operated in co-operation with third parties under MSA and similar agreements. To achieve our objectives, we are recruiting personnel to create a powerful team who have proven track record in performance to the levels targeted by Ventient. Together with existing team members we expect to create a high-performance team to take the company forward for the next five years.
Main Function & Scope
The Head of HSQE will ensure that our strong HSQE & ESG culture is developed and maintained across the company portfolio ensuring stakeholders support our drive for a safe and environmentally friendly workplace whilst maintaining our Vision, Mission and Values.
You will drive strategic definition and delivery of HSQE / ESG initiatives. Performance will be achieved together with team heads of country asset management, third party asset managers, contractors and Ventient staff. The successful candidate will have a proven record in delivering to the highest standards, quality HSQE/ESG management with a passion for improving through lessons learned and proactive risk management, ensuring an embedded HSQE culture, raising standards and driving continuous improvement.
Identification of Ventient Energy Best Practices and deployment across all portfolios. ISO certification alignment for the complete portfolio. Ensuring full organization alignment towards meeting ESG goals. Driving GRESB evaluation for all portfolio and obtain 5 stars rating.
1. Drives the business HSQE Culture and Continuous Improvement
- Lead and Manage Ventient Energy Heath, Safety, Quality and Environment Department
- Excellent management of third party Asset Managers and Contractors. Ability to make clear our expectations and reporting requirements on HSE & ESG, and effectively manage counterparties to ensure that they deliver against our expectations and requirements.
- Provide guidance to colleagues and contractors as required, e.g. guidance on method statements, safe systems of work, updated legislation etc., transferring best practice across different jurisdictions.
- Respond and investigate accidents and incidents as required, ensuring clear investigations with identification of areas for improvement. Help ensure that there is a clear implementation of suitable corrective and preventive actions against agreed timetable. Ensure that there is clear and effective communication amongst Ventient staff and third party Asset Managers and contractors to spread best practice and lessons learned.
- Develop HSQE strategy and business plans that lead to zero incidents and an industry leading HSQE culture
- Drive safety performance and culture by building safety into process and equipment and by achieving the highest level of safety awareness in our staff and contractors
- Lead the drive to find HSQE solutions, providing sound communication and influencing skills to achieve a balance between pragmatism and upholding the highest standards of HSQE practice.
2. HSE Compliance
- Development and maintenance of HSE policies and procedures and ensuring their implementation
- Maintain existing ISO accreditations and further develop additional accreditations, and support through conducting audits to ensure delivery of regulatory and compliance requirements.
- Promote and support reporting and relevant regulatory requirements
- Ensure appropriate continual professional development to ensure continual review of legal, regulatory and best practice updates
- Support Environmental, Social and Governance delivery (ESG), both within Ventient and with key contractors that are directly involved in the running of Ventient’s portfolio and the communities in which they operate.
- Manage and Support stakeholder engagement with ESG / GRESB reporting process.
4. Data management
- Manage, monitor and analyse HSQE performance data, acting in a timely fashion on identified trends too react in an appropriate manner to reduce accident or incident
- Manages the generation and delivery of focused performance information which can fully inform management, strategic performance (ESG), Board and Shareholder as to progress, key issues etc
5. Working with Ventient colleagues to improve HSEQ
- Develop and deliver HSE training and education initiatives
- Identification and management of training requirements in line with compliance and regulatory expectations
- Management of HSQE management meetings
- Delivering periodic review of the business and department targets and priority actions agreed in the strategic plan resulting in improvements to the plan ensuring corrective action required is completed
Competencies & Behaviours
- Sound judgement and decision-making ability
- Results and quality focused.
- Teamworking but capable of independent work discipline.
- Directing and guiding others through good interpersonal, influencing and communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Cross-cultural awareness (and sensitivity).
- Experience working with IS0 9001, IS0 14001, ISO45001 management systems
- Energy and dynamism.
- An excellent knowledge of HSE Legislation and an ability to work with colleagues and contractors to ensure the highest standards of HSEQ.
- Good written, verbal communications and presentation skills – foreign European language (Spanish/Portuguese/French/German) would be a distinct advantage
- An ability to objectively analyse situations and develop practical solutions.
- Self-reliance. HSQE staff will often be required to give specialist support to under-pressure PM and Service colleagues.
Skills & Knowledge
- Multi-project and stakeholder management.
- Full Driving licence and the ability to travel extensively.
- Worked across several jurisdictions
Education & Qualifications
- Diploma or equivalent in IOSH
- HSQE – Chartered IOSH (or working to)
Microsoft Office Suite (with very good knowledge of Excel and presentation delivery)
Regular European travel across the portfolio which will include stakeholder activity.
The ideal candidate is an upper quartile driven HSE manager, working tirelessly and co-operatively across teams of multiple disciplines for mutual success, and clearly focused on risk management.
He or she has worked comfortably in a matrix organisation, with both internal and external stakeholders and can persuade to achieve desired outcomes and hold people and services providers to account.
He or she is comfortable bringing stability to continuous improvement programmes of work, company-wide clarity to key improvement actions and outcomes, and a motivator and supporter for others to achieve and improve.
Passionate about Safety and Environmental management that supports team and stakeholder delivery and integration.