Main Function & Scope
The Electrical Engineer will act as the Technical Expert for wind turbine and balance of plant electrical systems for over 726 MW of wind power plant located in Portugal. You will be part of a team of Engineers responsible for the risk management, analysis and resolution of complex technical problems. You will work closely with 3rd party contractors and Portuguese Asset Management teams to support the delivery of safe, efficient, and reliable operation across the portfolio. You will be encouraged and supported to develop bespoke improvement projects which deliver measurable value to the portfolio.
This role is based in either Spain or Portugal.
- Work with Health, Safety, Quality and Environmental (HSQE) management to achieve the highest level of safety across the portfolio ensuring all relevant industry standards and guidelines are complied with.
- Deliver value through the development of novel performance improvement initiatives, identifying potential plant upgrades, and by supporting improvement projects as part of a multidisciplinary team.
- Protect asset value by supporting the Engineering Life Extension strategy, and managing critical electrical spares obsolesce.
- Manage the Ventient Energy High Voltage Operational Safety Rules working with the dedicated service provider on training, authorisation, and continual monitoring of Ventient Energy SAPs.
- Define and manage the scope and requirements for electrical inspection and maintenance working with Asset Management and external contractors to ensure this is completed to industry standards and timescales.
- Lead root cause of failure investigations for wind turbine and electrical balance of plant component failures, working with the appropriate subcontractors to deliver clear recommendations and remedial actions required to ensure safe operations.
- Specify, lead and in some cases participate in asset inspection activities to identify any potential operational or health and safety issues.
- Specify and project manage remedial works to return assets to service.
- Ensure asset configuration control by conducting and assessing Engineering Change Requests and presenting to Senior Management for approval.
- Assist in the further development of the business spare parts strategy. Working with the Commercial and Procurement Manager with the identification and sourcing of replacement parts and any associated tender processes and contract negotiations as necessary.
- Identify and assess relevant contractors and work with the Commercial and Procurement Manager to negotiate scope of services and commercial terms. Manage contractors following contract completion.
- Support the scope definition of future O&M contracts.
- Ensure compliance with grid connection agreements acting as point of contact for all DSO and TSO technical enquiries and utilising specialist consultants, as necessary.
- Support business growth aspirations through the participation in technical due diligence activities for potential acquisitions and adding transaction value through the identification of performance improvement potential.
- Oversee, with support from external service providers, the construction of any new assets, overpowering or repowering projects.
- 24/7 availability, supporting the Operation and Maintenance of Wind Farms, if necessary, provide remote support or travel to wind farms.
Competencies & Behaviours
- Dynamic, proactive, methodical and organised.
- Self-starter who can navigate through uncertainty to deliver results.
- Adaptable and quick to adjust to new people, equipment and processes.
- Confident and articulate communicator who can explain complex engineering problems in non-technical language.
- Self-assured and effective Project Manager, with an ability to proactively identify and mitigate project risks.
- An effective team member who can support in the delivery of cross-functional work scopes.
- Strong interpersonal including both verbal and written communication skills are essential.
- Excellent analytical skills and attention to detail, methodical mind with the ability to combine innovative thinking with a solutions-orientated approach.
- Ability to make effective decisions in pressured situations.
Skills & Knowledge
- Strong understanding and demonstrable experience of working with operational Wind Power Plant including LV and HV subcomponents and balance of plant electrical infrastructure.
- Understanding and demonstrable experience of working with SCADA systems and communication protocols common to the Wind and Power Generation industries.
- Knowledge of grid connection agreements.
- Strong commercial awareness and experience in the negotiation of technical work packages.
- Demonstrable Project Management experience of delivering multiple complex technical projects simultaneously, to schedule and budget.
- Knowledge and experience of completing Root Cause Analysis.
- Knowledge and experience of Electrical Inspection and testing techniques.
- Knowledge and experience of Very High Voltage operations up to 220kV.
- Knowledge and experience of Portuguese and Spanish electrical infrastructure and energy markets.
- Experience of working across multiple geographic locations and cultures.
Education & Qualifications
- Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent with demonstrable experience in the field of Electrical Engineering.
- High Voltage operational switching (desirable).
- Fluency in English (required).
- Fluency in Spanish (desirable).
- Driver license (required)
- Total availability for travel according to needs (required).
- High level of computing literacy is essential
- SCADA systems
Infrequent UK and European travel to attend to sites.
What we offer:
- Professional and personal development in a dynamic and growing company.
- Remuneration compatible with function and skills.
- Pack of perks and attractive benefits.