Main Function & Scope
The Mechanical Engineer (Optimisation) will act as an expert with respect to performance optimisation of wind turbines and support the delivery of safe, efficient and reliable performance solutions across the portfolio. You will work closely with the wider Technical Department and Asset Management Department, to provide specialist support on the optimisation of Wind Power Plant assets. You will be a general expert on all mechanical systems within wind turbines and overarching wind turbine control, with a track record of innovating and developing solutions to real-world problems. This role will allow you to work at the forefront of the global wind industry, with the most innovative companies in the world, developing and delivering first of their kind projects.
Performance Improvement Project Development
- Working with internal and external partners, develop innovative upgrades and solutions to improve turbine power performance or turbine availability:
- Ensure all local, national and international regulations and standards are adhered to.
- Evaluate and revalidate as necessary turbine type certification and/or site-specific life estimations, ensuring that asset life targets and performance improvement outcomes are balanced.
- Develop and maintain excellent working relationships across the industry, both within other wind operators, OEM/ISPs and service companies to ensure all avenues for performance improvement are evaluated.
- Lead Engineering due diligence, utilising internal and external providers to ensure that performance improvement solutions are technically suitable.
- Develop validation plans to ensure Performance Improvements are validated.
- Project Manage trial phase implementation of Performance Improvement ideas, to schedule and budget.
- Develop and maintain Performance Improvement project business cases, working with the wider business to feed in key financial metrics and reporting regarding Performance Improvement projects as they progress through development.
- Identify and assess relevant contractors and work with the Commercial and Procurement Manager to negotiate scope of services and commercial terms. Manage contractors following contract completion.
General Engineering Support:
- As required and as directed by the Lead Mechanical Engineer:
- Act as technical support for the wider business with regards to supporting the resolution of Performance Vulnerabilities.
- Play a key role in ensuring asset configuration control by conducting/assessing Engineering Change Requests and presenting to Senior Management for approval.
- Lead fault / failure investigations working to develop Root Cause Analysis reports with manufacturers / independent service providers by following approved RCA methodology, ensuring findings and recommendations are implemented across the portfolio.
- Act as a brand ambassador for Ventient Energy Engineering by presenting at national and international conferences.
Competencies and behaviours
- Organised and methodical mindset
- Innovative and able to see the bigger picture
- Safety orientated
- Results focussed
- Drive and persistence
- Confident and articulate communicator
- Excellent level of written communication
- Developing relationships
- Cross-cultural awareness and sensitivity
Skills & Knowledge
- Expert knowledge of wind turbine design, manufacture, inspection, maintenance and repair.
- Knowledge of wind turbine control systems.
- Fluency in English.
- Clear communicator with the ability to communicate complex technical problems to a range of technical and non-technical staff.
- Understanding of the design and certification of wind turbines as per IEC 61400.
- Experience overseeing the design and manufacture of large mechanical systems.
- Working within the Wind Industry in an Engineering role.
- Experience in developing and implementing performance improvement projects on wind turbines.
Education and qualifications
- Chartership with Engineering Council