Main Function & Scope
The Mechanical Engineer (Blades) will act as an expert with respect to wind turbine rotor blades (WTRB) and support the delivery of safe, efficient and reliable operation across the portfolio. You will work closely with the wider Technical Department and Asset Management Department, to provide specialist support on WTRB. You will be an expert for all lifecycle stages of wind turbine rotor blades, including the design, manufacture and operational failure modes of all blade types.
Expert Support to the business with respect to WTRB:
- Act as Technical Expert for WTRB across the entire Ventient Energy portfolio, providing support to internal and external parties as required to support safe and reliable operations.
- Responsible for Technical reviews of blade defects, including completing fitness for service assessments for defects where structural integrity may be affected, determining if continued operation is acceptable and the repairs required.
- Responsible for the ongoing development and implementation of a blade management software package.
- Develop and maintain blade repair maintenance contract appendices, which can be used to convey Ventient WTRB requirements during OEM maintenance contract discussions.
- Lead Root Cause Analysis studies on major structural wind turbine blade failures.
- Identify and assess relevant contractors and work with Ventient Procurement to negotiate scope of services and commercial terms.
- Play a key role in ensuring asset configuration control by conducting/assessing Engineering Change Requests.
- Responsible for the ongoing development and implementation of the wind turbine rotor blade monitoring strategy across the portfolio, ensuring the correct blade inspection type and inspection interval is in place for each wind farm.
- Responsible for the tendering, proposal review, tender award and ongoing management of the blade inspection contract(s) where Ventient is responsible for blade inspections.
- Responsible for the creation and management of the annual blade inspection budget.
- Develop work orders of blade defects for wind turbine rotor blade repair workscopes.
- Responsible for the tendering, proposal review, tender award and ongoing management of the blade repair contract(s) where Ventient is responsible for blades
- Responsible for the ongoing development and implementation of the wind turbine rotor blade inspection and repair specification, ensuring that industry best practice inspection and repair techniques are being employed.
- Responsible for the creation and management of the annual blade repair budget.
- Work with the Asset Integrity Engineer to develop management strategies for WTRB on wind turbines operating beyond their original design life.
- Develop and implement a lifecycle strategy for management of Leading Edge Erosion, working to reduce costs associated with efficiency losses and repairs.
Internal and External reputation
- Act as a brand ambassador for Ventient Energy Engineering by presenting at national and international conferences.
- Develop and maintain productive working relationships with external suppliers, maintenance providers, operators and OEMs.
Competencies and behaviours
- Organised and methodical mindset
- Safety orientated
- Results focussed
- Drive and persistence
- Confident and articulate communicator
- Excellent level of written communication
- Developing relationships
- Cross-cultural awareness and sensitivity
Skills & Knowledge
- Expert knowledge of wind turbine rotor blade design, manufacture, inspection, maintenance and repair.
- Expert knowledge of wind turbine rotor blade aerodynamics, including the methods used to design and validate aerofoil performance.
- Strong commercial awareness with experience of contracting complex work scopes
- Expert knowledge of WTRB sound emissions and the methodology and solutions used to respond to noise complaints
- Working within the Wind Industry in an Engineering role.
- Working within the Wind Industry in an Engineering role with direct responsibility for WTRB maintenance and repair.
Education and qualifications
- Chartership with Engineering Council
- XFOIL and RFOIL aerofoil development software